• Despite the forecast, live like it's spring. — Lilly Pulitzer

Hoop dreams with Bobby Saxton

Photo by Photos Courtesy of Stormers Athletics
Bobby Saxton, MATC Stormers Guard

The MATC Stormers Men’s Basketball Team had a very successful season last year. One player from last season’s team is determined to help this year, is Bobby Saxton.
Saxton plays shooting guard and small forward. He is returning to the team for his second season and sophomore year. Saxton was playing basketball from his childhood to now as an adult. “The first time I ever touched a basketball is when I was two years old.” says Saxton He first learned how to play basketball when he was very young and played competitively in the 4th grade.
Saxton played for the basketball team at his elementary school, middle school, and high school. Saxton had applied for classes here at MATC and signed up to join the basketball team last year.
Saxton receives inspiration to play basketball in two places. One is from his dad who played basketball for his high school. “He was one of the best players, but he was a teammate also. He told me to have my grades right and focus on my education, and if you want something go out there and get it.” said Saxton. Saxton also receives inspiration from players from the National Basketball Association (NBA). “I love the game. I like everybody in the NBA. Everybody has a role and a position to play.” said Saxton. The three NBA players who inspire him the most are NBA legends Michael Jordan and Earvin “Magic” Johnson, and current NBA player Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls.
On the court, Saxton contributes in various ways. He follows the coach’s expectations, “Overall he has bought into what we to do with our program and has stepped in and done that and continues to teach that to incoming players.” Said Randy Casey, Athletic Director/Head Coach. Saxton serves the leader role both on and off the court. “Bobby contributes in a lot of different ways. He’s a very good rebounder for his size. He’s been able to give us minutes in different.
He was one of our top defenders last year. We’re looking for him to carry that over to this year so those are some things he brings to the program.” said Randy Casey, Athletic Director/Head Coach.  He makes sure that his teammates are staying focused and gives more than one hundred percent. “I have to make sure that our team is ready. We get through our drills, we go hard, we get a nice sweat, and get ready for the game.” said Saxton.  
Saxton accomplishes this by having a good workout regiment, keeping a game shift mainframe, and practicing with some of his teammates inside and outside of school.
Saxton is returning to the Stormers to help them reach the promise land. He is also using his years here at MATC as stepping stone for getting an education. Saxton’s future plans after MATC are going on to a four year college, but he’s not sure where to go yet.
Saxton also dreams of continuing his basketball career in the NBA, if he is given the opportunity. “Preparation is key.” said Saxton. Saxton is a dedicated player for the Stormers and has bright future ahead of him.