• Spring is the time of plans and projects. – Leo Tolstoy

Men’s Stormers go National

The Men’s Stormers played a historic game on March 4 in Madison, acquiring the 2012 NJCAA Region IV Championship – the first time in MATC history.
Photo by Roberta Pratt

Coach Randy Casey of the MATC Stormers said, “This is the first time MATC’s, Men’s Basketball, team has been to a National Tournament. I told the guys, ‘Records can be broken, and a trip to the National Tournament can never be taken away,’ the guys came together to make this happened.”

Larry ‘Bo’ Mitchell, Team Captain and Point Guard, of the MATC Stormers said, “I think what separates us from any team in our conference is that any given night a player can step up and lead us to victory.”

The Region IV Playoff game one occurred on March 3, with MATC Stormers vs. College of DuPage Chaparrals (75-79) OT.  

Stormers, Point Guard, Rashaad Alexander scored 22 points, 4 deffensive rebounds, and 5 assists.   Bobby Saxton, Guard, scored 10 points, 5 offensive rebounds, and 10 defensive rebounds.  

Nate Johnson, Guard, scored 8 points. Tevin Rumley, Guard scored 14 points and 7 defensive rebounds. Patrick Zemanovic, Center, scored 11 points. The Stormers beat the Chaparrals beat the Chaparrals 11-7 in overtime.

Playoff game two of the Region IV Games on March 4 was against Joliet Junior College with the Stormers’ winning 87-85. The victory moved the Stormers into the NJCAA Division III National Tournament.  Alexander scored 10 points and 7 assists.

Clem Robinson, Guard, made 10/18 field goals, scored 25 points, and had 4 defensive rebounds. Rumley scored 17 points, 9 defensive rebounds, and 5 assists. Zemanovic scored 25 points.

Zemanovic said, “This is where we said we wanted to get to, and now it’s unreal.” Casey said, “We’ve progressively gotten better!”

With their impressive season, Coach Randy Casey was awarded Region IV Coach of the Year, Rashaad Alexander Region IV MVP, and Tevin Rumley was awarded Alternative Team (One of the top five players in the league.)

Assistant Coach Travis Mrozek, of the MATC Stormers, said, “I’m really excited for the guys to have the opportunity and memories that go along with coming this far.”

Go to the MATC’s homepage, click on athletics, then men’s basketball schedule/results, scroll down, and you will find the information link for the 2012 NJCAA DIII National Championship.