• Spring is nature's way of saying, 'Let's party'! – Robin Williams

Come out and support your team

Photo by Wendi Coon/Times
Jasmine Gray, #24, charges down the line during the intense game against the Morton College Panthers.

As the sun begins to set early and nights get chilly, there is no better place to be but at Alverno College, 3400 S. 43rd St., rooting on your Stormers.
The women’s basketball team starts the night with two hours of fast-paced competitive basketball. The men’s team plays right after the ladies and they bring their high energy and amazing dunking skills.
The women’s team is young and made up of mostly freshmen. Currently, they are a little short-handed but that will change next year when several players will become eligible to play.
On Nov. 13, the women played the Morton College Panthers. They started with an early lead, holding the Panthers to within three at the half.
The second half was  hard fought and fast paced. The score stayed within three points for the rest of the game. Due to the number of players, fatigue may have become a factor for the women toward the end of the game.
The Stormers ladies were down by two with five seconds on the clock. They tried to execute a quick shot but were unable to connect with the basket, resulting in their fourth loss of the season with a score of 72-70.  
The Stormers women’s basketball coach Larry Lanciotti said, “The ladies played a tough, hard game and they should be proud of themselves.”
The men’s team has no shortage of players; they are made up of many seniors and several new players. It was apparent from the beginning of the game that these men are used to working together.
They took an early, aggressive lead. With good communication, teamwork and aggressive defense they were able to keep their opponent, the College of Lake Lancers, from getting within 10 points of their lead.
The final score was 67-52;  it was the second win of the season. The Stormers are looking forward to playing more games and improving their skills.
An unknown author has stated, “Basketball doesn’t build character, it reveals it.” Come see the character of your MATC Stormers.

Printed Version (MATC Stormers)