• Spring is the time of plans and projects. – Leo Tolstoy

Stormers’ baseball squeak out a victory

Playing host to the Waubonsee Chiefs, the Stormers split a doubleheader against them on Thursday, April 12.

Game one of the doubleheader got off to an exciting start as Waubonsee’s shortstop Harry Vickers hit a lead off home run. 

The Stormers responded in the bottom of the first when shortstop Brandon Helt hit a RBI single, tying the game at 1-1. 

After the first inning, the game turned into a pitchers duel, going scoreless and sending the game into extra innings-then the wheels came off for the Stormers. Lead by designated hitter Scott Allegretti’s 2 RBI single, Waubonsee scored 4 runs in the eighth inning. The Stormers were unable to answer in game one, ending in a 5-1 loss.

Game two was a more offensive affair. The Chiefs began game two with a hot start similar to game one with first baseman Jake Jouris knocking in two runs off a single in the top of the first inning. 

The Stormers fought back and scored six runs in the third inning, lead by designated hitter Josh Sommer, who hit a base clearing 3 RBI triple. 

The Chiefs would fight back in the fourth, scoring 3 runs, but in the end it wasn’t enough. The game ended early due to the lack of light with the Stormers squeaking out a 7-6 victory.

As of Monday, April 16, the Stormers season record is 14-16. The Stormers have 16 games remaining, half of them being home games. Postseason action begins May 5.