• Spring is nature's way of saying, 'Let's party'! – Robin Williams

Downtown Campus gets new Math Lab

If an individual is looking for a specific and personal environment in order to get some extra math help, the new PLI Math lab is the place to go. Located in C353, students taking MATGEN (general math) 109 and 110 courses are encouraged to visit the new lab. New as of this semester, the lab offers a quiet atmosphere for students to go that eliminates classroom pressure and gets students over the fear of asking their professors for help. Staffed by instructors who teach the MATGEN courses and peer tutors, there is plenty of help available to students. This help includes computer-based assistance through homework videos and lectures. Each individual problem will be met.

Two-thirds of students at MATC will test into PLI-level classes instead of testing straight into their math program. This is a problem. Besides being the universal language and a very essential tool in today’s society, math opens a lot of doors for a lot of people. One of these doors opens up to S.T.E.M scholarships.

If students get into TNA (Technical and Applied Sciences) programs, they will be introduced to S.T.E.M scholarships. These S.T.E.M (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematic) scholarships offer nearly a full ride in graduate or undergraduate education. With that being said, MATGEN 109 is the most important indicator of whether students will do well in their current programs.

Two contacts to get in touch with for further information are Lisa Hugdahl and Kathy Olson. They are the instructors responsible for developing this idea. Besides that, go check out the lab! The available hours are posted on the door.