• Despite the forecast, live like it's spring. — Lilly Pulitzer

Legal Clinic

Looking for first apartment

Dear Student Legal Clinic,

I am currently looking for my first apartment. Is there anything I should be looking out for?

Signed,

Brad

Dear Brad,

Finding a decent place to rent requires thorough inspections of apartments and the strength to keep looking when apartments don’t pan out. We recommend you take along a:

3 Flashlight

3 Light Bulb

3 Hair Dryer

3 Pen or pencil

When checking out the electrical system, turn on each switch to see if it works. You may also check the electrical system with the hair dryer you bring along. If for some reason the sockets don’t work there could be dangerous defects in the electrical system that could cause a fire.

To check the plumbing you can turn on the sink and bathtub faucets to see if they work or leak. You should also flush the toilet to see if it operates properly or leaks.

You also need to look up at the ceilings and check to make sure that they are not cracked or water stained. Also look at all four walls. If there is cracking or water damage this may indicate a leaking roof, defective rain gutters, or defective plumbing upstairs. Water damage is serious as it can cause the ceilings or walls to collapse.

Safety is a very important thing to check on when buying or renting a house. Check to see if there are smoke detectors in the building. Also make sure that there are deadbolt locks on the apartment doors and the exterior doors. Checking the windows to make sure there are storm screens can save you money in the winter time. You should gently push on the windows to see if they are secure or loose in the frame.

Open cabinets and immediately shine in the flashlight to detect roaches. Look for roach eggs. You may also look for rat and mouse holes and droppings in the back of cabinets and closets.

Be sure to go into the basement to check on the condition of the furnace. Even in the summer time, push the thermostat up to see if the furnace actually works. Check the water heater to see if it is leaking. If you notice any serious problems, think carefully about the chance you will be taking with your family’s health and safety if you rent the apartment. If you are interested in the apartment you may ask the landlord to put promised repairs in writing. But ask yourself: “If he didn’t make these repairs for the last tenant, why should I believe he’ll make the repairs for me?”

For more information, or to file a complaint, contact the Bureau of Consumer Protection at:

(800) 422-7128

FAX: (608) 224-4939

TTY: (608) 224-5058

Email: [email protected]

Website: http://datcp.state.wi.us

You may also call We Energies to find out the previous year’s energy usage. For more information you can stop in room M326 or you may call 414-297-6630 or you may email Mary at [email protected].