• Spring is nature's way of saying, 'Let's party'! – Robin Williams

The early bird gets the bookworm

Preparing for school is not hard. When I was getting ready for college I was determined. I moved every distraction out of the way so that I could be focused. I even made it a priority to be at MATC well before I actually started classes to make sure everything was taken care of and understood. Since I have done these things EARLY I didn’t have to stand in a ridiculous long line on the first day of school.  I was prepared to begin my quest towards a brighter future. 

I am a Barber/Cosmetology student here at MATC and I am graduating this December. It has been a cake walk getting this far because I stayed on top of my Financial Aid by applying for it at least two months in advance. I registered for my classes as soon as the notice was posted on MATC’s website which urged students to do so. I got my books three days before class started, and I made sure my work schedule was in order. 

In every program’s orientation they tell students what to do in advance so that they too could avoid the long lines at the Welcome Center, financial aid, the bookstore, and at the US Bank to get their UPass or student ID on the first day. I’m so glad that I listened and prepared myself so that I could save face and time.  All I had to do was start and continue moving forward without hassle and worry.  Okay, so maybe it isn’t that easy for everyone.

Adrianna Roberson, a non-traditional Barber/ Cosmetology student at MATC, said, “I finished high school early, so I could come here. My only mistake was that I did not anticipate the cost of my education.  I didn’t understand Financial Aid. I only applied for the minimum thinking that it would cover my first semester-20 credit load, plus my kit and books.”

Roberson continued, “Next time I will be more informed about financial aid, because that’s the most important thing about college, how you will pay for it. Also, before beginning college everyone should learn about their choices, look at their situation, and inquire about financial aid. “

Everyone that is attending MATC has made the conscious decision to be here, so prepare for it. As soon as you sign up to attend college here at MATC and they tell you your program doesn’t start until August or January, don’t wait until the first day and find out everything you need. Take notes at orientation and create a checklist of things you need to accomplish before school begins. How do you think I have been so successful this far? Don’t become complacent either. Policies can change; program requirements can change; the world is forever evolving in the blink of an eye. Check your email and schedule frequently, and then you won’t end up in some line waiting to figure things out.