• Spring is nature's way of saying, 'Let's party'! – Robin Williams

If it isn’t too much trouble, do you mind?

Being respectful and using manners appear to be going to the wayside. It isn’t uncommon to walk through the hallways and have someone bump into someone else.Instead of apologizing, the individual continues to walk about their own business.

Could it be because their music was too loud so they were oblivious to it? Could it be because they didn’t realize it? It’s a possibility.

More likely than not, it’s probably because they don’t: a). care and b). feel they shouldn’t have to apologize. Is this how students, faculty and/or how Americans in general feel?

That’s not for me to say. Hell, I’m just a student myself. I just know that I was raised to use manners and in this particular situation I would have apologized.

In race car driving, announcers go crazy when 3 cars go 3 wide on a turn. I go crazy also.

Not in the same aspect of that, but when individuals students and staff go 3 wide walking down the stairwells.

Instead of one person moving off to the side so people get through, both myself and other people who want to go up the stair well have to wait. Really, how hard is it to move?

Speaking of the bottom of stairwells, on the 3rd floor of the downtown campus, it’s comical that people stand right there by the railing.

It’s a ‘free’ country and people can stand where they want, but shouldn’t “certain individuals” ask if they could carry on their conversations off to the side so other people can move freely (meaning up the stairwell and through the student traffic moving north or south?)

Why would they ask them to move, those “certain individuals” are usually standing there with the students.

I by no means am being a prude. I’ve done these things myself. Additionally, it’s just not MATC students and faculty that do these things.

I read an article by Allison Rizzolo that read: “Land of the Rude: Americans in New Survey Say Lack of Respect is Getting Worse.”

In this article it states: “…a study released says rudeness is on the rise in our society and 41 percent admit they too are sometimes a part of the problem.”

The findings are part of Aggravating Circumstances: A Status Report on Rudeness in America. This was a nationwide study prepared by Public Agenda, a nonprofit organization dedicated to unbiased public opinion research, for The Pew Charitable Trusts.

The study goes on to say: “79 percent of Americans say lack of respect and courtesy should be regarded as a serious national problem; only 19 percent say it should be viewed as serious given other issues facing society.”

Additionally: “6 in 10 believe the problem is getting worse.”

I know this sounds like a rant or a bunch of complaining, but I’m an open-minded person and willing to listen to anyone who thinks I might just be passive-aggressive.

It’s just a reminder to be respectful to your fellow students and faculty. Thank you.