• Spring is the time of plans and projects. – Leo Tolstoy

Job fair held at Oak Creek campus

On Thursday, December 1, the South Suburban Chamber of Commerce paired with the Oak Creek campus to hold the job fair for the Fall 2011 semester. The event was held from noon to 5 p.m., beginning exclusively for current students and alumni from noon-2 p.m., then opening to the general public for the final three hours from 2-5 p.m..

Most visitors attending the job fair came to collect career and employer information while also looking for jobs. Many of the job fair attendees were not current students, with some currently unemployed and others simply searching for new job opportunities.

Maddie Brenzel, a second year Marketing major, stated she was looking for “anything that pays better” than her current job, while Marie Her, a student from another university, was seeking jobs in the manufacturing and healthcare fields.

The number of exhibiting companies taking part in the job fair totaled 68, many of them representing the healthcare and manufacturing fields. In addition to the exhibitors, there were also two information/registration booths set up to help attendees, located at the 2nd floor main entrance and at the bottom of the stairs leading to the 1st floor cafeteria.

The exhibiting booths lined both the 1st and 2nd floors, with booths extending down many of the building’s hallways and also into the cafeteria. The layout did not appear to be a problem, as Robert Powell, a job fair attendee, responded about the setup and layout of the job fair, “the setup is perfect.”