• Spring is the time of plans and projects. – Leo Tolstoy

Student Legal Clinic

What to do if you miss a court date

Dear Student Legal Clinic,
I had some disorderly conduct tickets in the City of Milwaukee Court.  I missed the court date.  It was a couple of years ago.  Can I reopen the case?  Do I have to put that on job applications?  Can somebody help me with this?
Signed, Gary

Dear Gary,
It is never a good idea to miss a court date.  One program that may be able to help you is the Milwaukee Municipal Court Alternative Program.  This program is located in the Municipal Court Building on James Lovell Street, but you cannot just walk in.  You must call 414-286-8733 for an appointment.  This program does not help with driver’s license issues except in limited circumstances.
I spoke to Sue Eckhardt, the Program Director, to find out how her program is able to help people with cases in Milwaukee Municipal Court.  She sent the following information to help our students.
Milwaukee Municipal Courts are limited jurisdiction and deal exclusively with cases involving city ordinance violations.  Offenses brought before the Milwaukee Municipal Courts are those that occur within the limits of the City of Milwaukee.  A sentence to pay monetary forfeitures to the City is the primary sentence imposed on a guilty defendant.  Non-payment of fines, with the exception of most traffic violations, may result in incarceration.
The Justice 2000 Court Alternatives Program (CAP) intervenes on behalf of defendants who have been cited for City of Milwaukee ordinance violations and are at risk of incarceration due to indigence, mental health, and or AODA issues.  Program staff coordinates and implements a range of services that will satisfy Milwaukee Municipal Court obligations, including community service, referrals for AODA and/or mental health treatment and employment services.
Defendants who do not appear in court on their arraignment date are typically found guilty by default and fines imposed.  Warrants result, if there is a jail time alternative, when fines are not paid by the due date.
Court appearances are important because a case can only be re-opened within six months of conviction.  While municipal cases are not criminal cases, certain types of offenses impact the ability to get student loans, qualify for subsidized housing, or obtain employment.
For information about the status of open municipal cases, contact Milwaukee Municipal Court at 286-3800.  To schedule an appointment to discuss alternative options for municipal court cases, contact Justice 2000 at 286-8733.
Thanks to Director Eckhardt for that information!