• Spring is the time of plans and projects. – Leo Tolstoy

Compact Replay

‘The Man with the Iron Fists’ soundtrack packs big punch
Gary Clark Jr.
Photo by Blak and Blu (Warner Bros)
Gary Clark Jr.

Sorta like last issue’s Jay-Z: Live In Brooklyn, the cool little live project meant for fans that didn’t have a chance to catch Jay live, the Black Keys have released Tour Rehearsal Tapes (Nonesuch).  
An awesome little 6-track ep that was recorded during a rehearsal back on December 11, 2011, as the band prepared for it’s hugely successful 2012 tour. They stopped here at the Bradley Center back in May with Arctic Monkeys – and they crushed. A two-member band consisting of guitarist Dan Auerbach and drummer Patrick Carney, the band started turning heads when they released Attack & Release, produced by Danger Mouse. This ep consists of 4 tracks from last year’s El Camino and two from 2010’s Brothers.All are good. Especially “Gold On The Ceiling” and “Next Girl”.

Which segues us into The Man With The Iron Fists (Soul Temple), a killer soundtrack from the movie of the same name. The segue is that the soundtrack contains “The Baddest Man Alive”, a collaboration with the afore-mentioned Black Keys and RZA.
RZA,  the leader of Wu-Tang Clan, as well as a working actor in many projects including American Gangster and the Showtime series Californication, as well as making this, his directorial debut.
If the movie is anywhere as good as the cd, it’s a winner because the 15 tracks make it the best compilation of the year. You get some biggies here including Kanye West, Corinne Bailey Rae, Wiz Khalifa and Pusha T., that make this a great combination of hip-hop, strong r&b and neosoul.
For me the best thing here is “I Forgot to Be Your Lover” by The Revelations (featuring Tre Williams). It’s so tough to recreate a time period classic, this originally a hit by William Bell in 1968; nobody can cop a 60’s soul attitude better than The Revelations.Other good ones include West’s “White Dress”, “Get Your Way” by Idol Worship and “Tick-Tock” by Pusha T.

I was really anticipating the full length debut from Austin Texas guitarist Gary Clark Jr. Any guitarist from Texas worth their salt has some pretty big shoes to fill. The likes of Stevie Ray Vaughan, Albert Collins, Freddie King and Chris Duarte are just a few who’ve come from the Lone Star State.
So here’s Blak and Blu (Warner Bros) a mixed bag that in the big picture does him more harm than good. Clark has stated that he wanted to make an album for everyone before he makes an album for himself; that’s cool but it always doesn’t work to your advantage.
An admitted blues guitarist, on Blak and Blu he attempts too many different things, which keeps him from showing off his strengths. He is a guitarist who heavily incorporates the blues and when he does, the results are amazing and prove the hype about Clark’s first full-length debut worthy.
When he tries to do things he shouldn’t, like on “Ain’t Messin’ Round” with that silly horn section arrangement you feel embarrassed for him. Pretty much the same goes for “The Life” with its hip-hop like drums, it’s just something a blues guitarist shouldn’t even think about attempting.
I get that producers Mike Elizondo (50 Cent, Fiona Apple) and Rob Cavallo (Fleetwood Mac, Green Day) want to show off Clark’s diversity but prolly not at the cost of an artist’s livelihood. I personally would have started the album off with the acoustic front porch foot tapping “Next Door Neighbor Blues” and let Clark’s talent run from there. This way you know what the artist and album are about.
Anyway the good ones still outweigh the bad ones and they include “Numb”, “Bright Lights”, “Travis Country”, “Things Are Changin'” and “Third Stone from The Sun/If You Love Me Like You Say.”

OK I’ve just about had enough of Neil Young. As much good as the guy has done, an original founder of Farm Aid and his work with the Bridge School which benefits children with disabilities, he’s become like that embarrassing long lost uncle at Christmas being as annoying as ever.
This time it’s with Psychedelic Pill (Reprise) his 35th studio album. Oh boy, where to start? OK, he recorded it with his part-time side project Crazy Horse; it’s also a two cd set that includes a 16:49, 27:36 and a 16:27 length tracks. In the jazz world that can be looked upon as experimental improvisation – in Young’s world it borders on mindless ramblings. Remember now, Young has been attempting something different on each of his most recent records, like his last album, Americana, an album that covered traditional material like, “Oh Susannah” and “Clementine” or Are You Passionate? an album that he recorded with Booker T and The MG’s.
What Neil Young is, is a very prolific singer/songwriter, member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame who, when motivated, makes terrific, iconic records. Here on Psychedelic Pill, only a couple hit the spot. Where his core audience will eat this up and maybe that’s all that matters, most of us will simply be baffled.
I can listen to “Twisted Road” and “Born in Ontario”, but anything after that my eyes start to water, things begin to get hazy and I start losing my equilibrium.

Neil Young (Psychedelic Pill (Reprise))