• Spring is nature's way of saying, 'Let's party'! – Robin Williams

Changes in smoking policy

On any given day at one of the campuses of MATC you’re sure to find a student/faculty member smoking to enjoy their break or relieve some stress.  Smokers casually lighting up as they do daily; even use it as a time to converse with others to catch up on current events.  An individual passes in the midst of their indulgences.  

The dilemma with this portrait as of November 1, all MATC property, buildings and grounds will be tobacco-free, both indoors and outdoors.  This MATC policy states prohibiting tobacco usage anywhere on district-owned or district-leased property, including buildings, grounds, parking lots, and vehicles, in accordance with the District’s authority pursuant to Wis. Statue 101.123(4m).  This policy applies to all students, employees and visitors of the college.

The college provides resources that can assist with the challenges associated with quitting tobacco usage. Employees should contact Human Resources for information concerning quitting of tobacco use.  Students are encouraged to contact Student Life for information about available resources.

Adding fuel to this fire, all MATC property, buildings and grounds will have to enforce a tobacco-free, both indoors and outdoors.  

Your probably wondering at this point, well aren’t we complying with the smoking 25 feet from the grounds?   

The Wisconsin Clean Indoor Act law state smoking is prohibited at educational facilities except in designated areas.  Currently, there are no official designated smoking areas at any of the campuses of MATC.

Bringing this awareness to individuals in passing, an array of confusion was brought about.  Questions lingered in the minds of occasional smokers.  Kenya Common, Downtown MATC student, gave her view point as a smoker how this policy could impose on her. “If they put up new signs stating I am not allowed to smoke here, then I would follow the rules.”

Common shares as she takes a poof on her cigarette.  Additionally Common added, “Seriously, look at everyone here, (meaning  in front of the Downtown campus S bldg) they are going to have to give me a ticket, if it’s that severe of an offense.”

Archie Graham, Director of Student Life, maintains two roles to assist with implementation of the smoking policy, to share information with students the resources available in educating them on the policy and the enforcement where students have to be aware of the consequences of complying with Code of Conduct.  “Implementation, the way it works if they are in violation, it will get report to public safety or my office, then we will do a follow up interview with the student and then make a decision at that point” say Graham in response to disciplinary actions if caught smoking.  The responsible does not fall on just law enforcement or public safety of MATC, but of the students and faculty. 

Broadening the spectrum, Kathleen Hohl, Director of Public Relations, gave further insight to clarifying the vision for this smoking policy stating “There was an interest on behalf of the District Safety Committee, which represents all four campuses and looks at a whole host of issues which affect the safety of students, staff and guest, in essence our campuses. The notion that this is something we would phase in to go entirely tobacco-free was a decision made by the Safety Committee in conjunction with Student Government.” The overall goal here is to set a standard of quality, above the requirements of the law.  

At the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, their smoking policy states: It is impermissible to smoke in any building on campus, or within 30 feet of a building entrance, air intake or operable window.  While at Marquette University, their policy is more progressive: Smoking is now prohibited in all university buildings and within 25 feet of all building entrances and balconies to comply with Wisconsin Act 12, “Smoke-Free Wisconsin,” as well as to support campus health and safety. The policy also prohibits smoking in parking structures and university-owned vehicles and prohibits designating any indoor location as a “smoking area.” For a 2 year college, MATC is showing to be innovators in leading the way for having tobacco-free campuses.  

In passing, Kia Jackson, second year student of MATC Downtown campus, applauded MATC for the new smoking policy.  “It’s annoying to walk and be exposed to smoke, it also shows a lack of consideration for other people’s health” says Jackson.  While discussing with others in regards to the new smoking policy, that was the general comment and others agreed with Jackson. “Soon as I walk out the building, I have to walk through a haze of smoke” Jackson continued to express and hearing news of a stricter policy was refreshing to Jackson.

One of the concerns in this policy change is enforcement.  As Hohl advised ” It’s about empowerment, this falls not just on public safety, students/staff have to police their surroundings”  That sentiment was shared by Graham who reiterated “students have the right to notify public safety and fill out a report.”  There are many scenarios to assist in enforcing policies for smokers to avoid being caught violating policy and for those who need to know what to look for when reporting: 

1. If you’re smoking on the side of the street of any of the campus, you are in violation.

2. Should your vehicle be in or near a parking structure owned or leased by MATC and you have a light cigarette, you are in violation.

3. Standing in an area you see others smoking and you figure to be a designated smoking area, if still on the same side of the grounds owned or leased by MATC, you are in violation.

Graham advised that their will be two weeks of highly effective seminars in regards to helping those who want to quit smoking in the fall, one each month leading up to Nov 1.  MATC’s smoking policy seems to be extreme to those who are inconvenience with relocating, but displays a positive outcome of a plan well executed though a collaborative effort from two viewpoints.  Through adjustment and preparedness MATC students and staff would be able to nip this in the bud.