• Spring is nature's way of saying, 'Let's party'! – Robin Williams

MATC Board bill passes

Despite a through the night thirty-one hour session producing a filibuster-like environment, Senate Bill 275 passed via a Republican majority voice vote on Friday, March 16.

The bill has been sent to Govenor Scott Walker for signing.

Democrats in the Assembly withdrew around 70 amendments before another all night session. Some deals were made that included keeping the public television stations Channels 10 and 36, MATC held licenses intact.

Transfer of control is subject to the blessing of the FCC. The immediate turn over of the entire MATC board was also averted.  

There has been confusion whether the replacing of all nine board members equates to a transfer of total control.

MATC and Local 212 respond

MATC spokeperson, Kathleen Hohl stated in an emailed response, “There are certainly many unanswered questions resulting from the passage of this bill and we began addressing them immediately to ensure a smooth transition.”

Hohl said, “We appreciate the agreements that were made to protect the college’s FCC licenses. We will work diligently to ensure our high-quality education continues to benefit current and prospective students and the business/manufacturing community of southeastern Wisconsin.”

Dr. Michael Rosen, an MATC instructor as well as President of Local 212 had vigorously campaigned to rally faculty, administration and students against this bill. MATC President Dr. Michael Burke also attended the latest session in Madison showing his support against the bill.

Rosen responded with the following statement through his newsletter an email, “On Friday, March 16, SB275 was passed by the Wisconsin Assembly. We lost the battle to stop the hostile takeover of MATC. SB275l disbands the MATC Board and recreates it under new requirements with a new appointing authority that gives disproportionate power to Republican Party County Executives.

The Democrats who held up the bill for more than 31 hours won only one small concession when the legislators agreed to allow 6 of 9 current members to continue serving under the new law.