Culinary program shines at Wine and Dine event

MATC’s Culinary Arts program took full advantage of the educational opportunities presented at Wine and Dine Wisconsin 2013 during the weekend of Nov. 16 and 17. Wine and Dine is an annual food and beverage sampling event at the Wisconsin Center in  downtown Milwaukee. Over 150 exhibitors, from restaurants to wineries, participated in this year’s edition. MATC, however, had more up its sleeve than just passing out nibbles. Students and instructors eagerly demonstrated varied cooking techniques and lead event attendees in hands-on cooking classes.
Jon Gurske, Culinary Arts program, was one of the students that assisted event-goers with the making of roasted butternut squash ravioli with gorgonzola walnut cream sauce. “I think it was an excellent experience to get out of the classroom and get to do something with the public,” Gurske shared afterward.
The demonstrations were new additions to MATC’s participation at the event. The response was very positive. “This is the first time we’re doing hands-on with the people and they just love it. We’re getting great reviews,” said Jody Burdick, a Student Life office staff member who volunteered at the event.  “I think it’s a great opportunity to get the students working with people. Mostly, in culinary, they’re doing the cooking and here they’re helping people do it themselves,” Burdick added.
The Wine and Dine classes ably communicated MATC’s passion for its curriculum and how entertaining cooking (and learning) can be. “I know I personally had a great group of ladies at my table and that made it even more fun,” said Gurske.

Photos by Mike Hiller

I think it was an excellent experience to get out of the classroom and get to do something with the public

— John Gruske, Culinary Arts program