Problems with Crisis Energy Assistance money

Student Legal Clinic

Student Legal Clinic

Dear Student Legal Clinic,
My electricity has been turned off.  I went to apply for Energy Assistance and they said I wasn’t eligible for Crisis Energy Assistance payments although I got the regular payment.
Signed
Perry

Dear Perry,
It is important to remember that Energy Assistance is not meant to cover your entire bill.  You must make an effort to pay every month in order to qualify for an Energy Assistance Crisis Grant.  You must have made at least four monthly payments of at least $35, totaling a minimum of $140 in the last six months prior to your request for help through the Crisis Program.

They do not allow one lump sum payment at the time of your application and they make no exceptions.  You can only qualify for a crisis grant once every nine months.  If you have a large balance, you must attend a workshop and meet with a Case Manager. So start making some payments.

After Oct.1, you may make an appointment to apply for regular Energy Assistance by calling the Energy Assistance Hotline at 414-906-2800 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.  If you have to leave a message, your call will be returned within 48 hours.

You may also schedule an appointment at Community Advocates by calling 414-270-6954 or make an appointment online at www.communityadvocates.net

For more information on Energy Assistance, please visit the Social Development website at www.cr-sdc.org/programs/energyassistance.

For other civil legal issues, please visit the Student Legal Clinic in Room M346, email [email protected] or call 414-297-6630.