A new role and challenges excite Torres

Tanya+Torres+is+located+at+the+downtown+Milwaukee+campus+in+room+M238.++++

Photo by Jarob Ortiz/Times

Tanya Torres is located at the downtown Milwaukee campus in room M238.

Newly appointed Native American Student Services Specialist Tanya Torres is as elated as can be about the chance to work with the college’s American Indian population. “I honestly can say, from growing up to now, that this is what I’ve always wanted to do. I’m so happy to be doing this,” Torres shared.
After working in the recruitment department for eight years, Torres was encouraged to apply for the position by the person retiring from it, her longtime friend Greg Johns.  “When he told me he was retiring, of course I was like, ‘Oh that would be my dream job.’ So I applied for it and luckily they picked me,” says Torres.
Her duties include the continued recruitment of American Indians; assisting them with the enrollment process, and staying involved with their progress all the way to graduation.
These tasks will provide her the opportunity to interact with students directly, a facet of the position she greatly values.
“Just seeing the faces, the American Indian faces.  It’s nice to see the different students come in. That’s my favorite thing, seeing the student come in and say, ‘Hello, I’m so-and-so from this tribe.”
Torres enters the position at a time of great need due to a lapse in staffing over the summer months that caused major delays in students’ financial aid for the fall semester. “The main thing I want for the spring semester is for that not to happen again. It happened in the summer, it was one time, we all learned from it. We need to make sure these students get their money on time,” Torres replied when asked what her immediate goals are.
Her vision for herself years from now centers around her desire to live up to the standards established by her legendary predecessors, Johns and Pat Logan, who served in the role for over 20 years. “Everyone always said you have some big shoes to fill. Others have said you’re going to do it your own way. Logan was here for many years, then Johns came. They were phenomenal and that will be me one day. To be able to do everything they did without any help. So the long term is to eventually get bigger feet and fill those shoes.”
Torres is aware of the challenges in front of her and the time it will take to master the intricacies of the job. The obstacles will not diminish her spirits.
“This being my third week, I’m still learning. I’m still growing. It’s going to be a learning process every day, but the smile won’t go off my face,” Torres beamed. It does not take much to imagine her succeeding given her overwhelmingly positive attitude and commitment to the American Indian people of MATC.

I honestly can say, from growing up to now, that this is what I’ve always wanted to do. I’m so happy to be doing this.

— Tanya Torres, Native American Student Services Specialist