Students want new Grab ‘n Go gone

Many returning students have expressed dissatisfaction with the new Grab ‘n Go stores that have replaced the cafeterias at the regional campuses. The most common theme is students just don’t want to eat the same thing day in and day out. For a hot meal their option is soup or chili, and for many that isn’t much of an option. However, a major frustration is students didn’t have a say.

Nick Kasprzak stated that at no time were the students informed about this change. Last year, Kasprzak was Vice President of the Student Senate at Mequon, and he served as Vice President on the Student Life Committee (or SLC).

Currently, Kasprzak is President at Mequon, serves on the SLC Board and is Lt. Governor for Wisconsin State Government (WSG).

Kasprzak explained that he was very angry because there were no meetings, no information, no student input as to how they felt about replacing the cafeterias. He added, the meeting held over the summer didn’t have any students included.

Kasprzak said had the Board asked the students, it would have been a very firm “no.”

Kasprzak stated students would have been willing to limit the quantity of hot food to minimize waste, but the concept of the Grab ‘n Go was nowhere near what the students wanted.

According to Karen Gebhard, Local 587 Union President, the Union thought students were informed.

She also expressed that replacing the cafeteria wasn’t what the Union had in mind.

“We never thought that hot food should go away and we always voiced that,” Gebhard said.

Kasprzak stated that the Board was misinformed because the SLC was not made aware of any of the changes that occurred over the summer.

He added, “We are trying to change it so that an SLC member has to be at those meetings.”

Gebhard explained that the Union never intended to close the cafeterias.

The Union thought the Grab ‘n Go stores were just going take the gum and candy out of the bookstore, but instead of replacing the cafeterias, they’d be in addition to them.

The idea they had is exactly what already exists at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus.

Kasprzak expressed that enough was enough. He believes that the Administration thrives on the fact that MATC is a two-year institution and that there are new Senate members every year.

“MATC seems to thrive on being able to get students in and out in two years, and not informing new Senate members of old issues.”

Kasprzak added, “We (all the Senate members for each of the campuses) will be defending ourselves from now on.