• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

Hypnotist captivates West Allis Campus

Photo by Bob Hanson

The atmosphere in the West Allis cafeteria was best described in two simple words: “smooth and chill.” Club music provided by a pair of DJs let on that something unexpected might happen.But groups of students seemed much unaffected by this. Just another Tuesday, studying for class with nothing apparent or out of the ordinary.

Jim Wand strolled in, unnoticed by the crowd, a neatly dressed professional catching the ears of all interested for proceedings to come.

He unofficially briefed would-be volunteers to let them know what to expect and set them at ease. And they all sat in front of the cafeteria, one line of eight.

Hypnotist Wand was introduced and the focal point of several students was brought to his center. Wand opened by saying, “Well, we are going to be doing some hypnotism today of these fine people up here. Plus, for anyone who is interested in the crowd, (if you are interested in being hypnotized.) quitting smoking, losing weight, hypnotism is the way to go. If you are not interested, then divert some attention away from the stage.”

He then brought out a large, striped black-and-white disc and began to spin it. The people who even casually stared at the disc underwent tumbling down within a kind of spiral.

When perception shifted back toward Wand’s head, it appeared to expand beyond two times its normal size.

Again, Wand stressed choice to the audience not to be hypnotized by drawing their eyes away from his devices. “If you try to be hypnotized, it’s not going to work,” Wand warned. “But if you surrender control, inhibition will be minimized.”

There was something unnatural about the equipment of Wand. His effects could undercut the total awareness of an entire body if one was not careful.

Wand drew the line of eight students out of reality in saying, “Listen to the sound of my voice, and yet you don’t have to do what I say. Always have control. Nod your head down and exhale. As you listen to the background noise of others here today, you slip in deeper.”

All he had to do was touch a few of his subjects and all control of voluntary muscle was lost. Wand then used the suggestion of the Caribbean to place those under hypnosis into the spring break state of mind.

A moment later, he placed an imaginary bottle of suntan lotion in the hand of those under his spell. “Lather up!” Wand commanded. What transpired next looked almost like a frenzied dance.

Even more fun was to be had in Wand’s demonstration with suggestive mental placement to the Kentucky Derby. Wearing only socks, the participants were asked to treat their shoes as if they were a pair of binoculars.

“What horse are you betting on?” The replies were, “Jim Bob!” “Cougar!” “Igor!” “Straight-A’s!” Wand enticed those hypnotized with a chance to win a million dollars the louder they’d cheer for their betted horse.

After that it got a tad noisy. The proclamation was, “It’s number 4!”

The supposed winner was ecstatic to Wand’s announcement. And then quick disappointment from all, in that no horse really won the Derby thanks to a small technicality.

By the end of the show, the audience was completely receptive in laughter and all were glad to be there.

Finally, Wand would awake the show’s participants by bringing up his hand slowly and asked them carefully to watch its movement. He then snapped his fingers and the spell was broken.

Jim Wand can be labeled as somewhat of a public benefactor. He uses what he does to entertain first; then educate. Hypnosis can remind you how deep the psyche is. Plus, moderate self-improvement can be achieved with conscious control, if prescribed as alternative medicine.

Testimony for how good Mr. Wand really is can be found with first-year Accounting student and show participant, Tou-Jay Yang. “All I had to do was stare into the eyes of Wand and then I remember falling out of my concentration.” The hypnotist has recently performed for the likes of Michigan State University and the Jay Leno Show.

(Bob Hanson)