Hypnotist Jim Wand leaves students spellbound

Students were given relief from the winter blahs in the form of laughter. They were laughing at fellow students who were hypnotized by Dr. Jim Wand, a professional hypnotist. Dr. Wand performed at the West Allis Campus recently to everyone’s amazement.He took students from the audience, hypnotized them and before long had them acting out hilarious skits.

These students did everything from play balloon instruments to believing they were secret agents. Some of the funnier scenes were when Kenny Green became Beyonce and A. J. Kramer sang like Carrie Underwood.

They both had some serious dance moves, especially Green, that had the crowd absolutely amused.

Other moments that sent the crowd into an uproar were when the hypnotized students were watching a “spicy” movie, then suddenly realized that they were watching their parents. Wand had asked participants what they were going to tell their parents concerning what they just saw.

Although many students had humorous answers, a comment made by Kramer really had the crowd roaring in laughter. He said, “I could do it better.”

After the event, Wand released the students from their hypnotized state. In the hallway Kramer was talking to a friend who was explaining to him everything he did. “I don’t remember anything,” stated Kramer. He just described feeling really relaxed, and “well rested,” as though he had been in a really deep sleep.

He appeared genuinely surprised hearing how he responded under hypnosis.

Wand expressed that for many not remembering anything afterward is common. “About half won’t remember anything, 25% will remember all of it and the other 25% will remember bits and pieces,” Wand said.

He added that it’s all based on how deep they’ve been hypnotized. Wand also explained that hypnotized people wouldn’t do anything they don’t want to do. He stated all hypnosis does is “enhance their personality.”

Wand became interested in hypnosis after he personally was hypnotized to help with weight loss. Although skeptical at first, when the weight was gone in six months, he became a believer.

He switched majors in college to pursue psychology, and then studied hypnosis.

Wand uses the entertainment of hypnosis as way to teach people about its benefits. He explained it has been used to help people with not only weight loss but also other issues including memory, stopping bad habits, sport performance, self-confidence and test taking skills.

However, not all hypnotists are created equal, so Wand suggests finding someone who is well trained. For further information, feel free to check out his website at www.hypnotism.com or e-mail him your question, [email protected].