Starting sooner could save time

After a long winter, an early jump on summer would be very welcome. Some members of the West Allis Student Senate had that very thought in mind when they presented the idea of moving the spring semester ahead by two weeks.The idea really has some good points. For starters it would mean that we would start our summer break sooner. After a long winter, and an even longer school year, the thought of getting out earlier is refreshing.

Another benefit would be that students would have a jump on summer jobs and internships. For some students, waiting until the end of May could potentially hinder their chances at summer jobs, or even internships.

This could even benefit teachers, too. It would allow them to start their summers earlier, which would mean a jump on their vacations, or summer jobs as well.

However, there are problems. “I don’t know how much is driven by the state,” Theresa Barry, Vice President, Student Services, said. There was also the concern with contracts. Those contracts are set up between the teachers union, support staff union and management.

The other concern Barry expressed was the time to get students registered between the fall and spring semesters would be “nightmarish.” The time lost would cause “craziness for us in admissions.” However, she felt that this concern could possibly be dealt with. Students would need to talk to faculty to help find suggestions on how this could be accomplished.

“This idea would need a lot of research,” Barry added. She felt that the administration would want to know how many students would even want the semester moved. MATC isn’t like traditional colleges with students going home during the holiday break.

However, Barry thinks that it would be helpful to know how many students may still want to use that time off between semesters. Even with these concerns, Barry suggests that if students want to move the spring semester ahead by two weeks, the best way would be for students to start a petition.

It would take a lot of students to sign on before it would even get any consideration. Barry noted, “[There is] power in numbers.”

Although I understand the concerns, I can’t help but feel that the benefits outweigh them. Allowing students to be ahead of, or least in direct competition with, other colleges in fighting for those summer jobs or internships can only help us. It is hard enough to find jobs, or get into internships without being kept behind due to our semester schedule.

The other benefit is that it will fill in that long lag between the semesters. After such a long break, I find it difficult to get back into the rhythm of classes. It would be better to avoid the lull and just quickly jump back in right after the first of January.

This is especially true if the quick start means we would get to enjoy summer sooner.

The earlier start could allow some to travel sooner, while others could enjoy a whole month of peace before their kids are released from their schools.

Think about it, what’s better: having time off during the cold, snowy winter or a longer summer?

So, if you want to see this change take place, then get involved.

Talk to your Student Senate, especially the West Allis Senate since they were the ones who started this idea. For teachers who would like to see this pass, start talking to your union to find out what it would take to make this change.

Theresa Barry was correct when she said it would take a large group to make this change. However, there are plenty of students and faculty. Let’s join together and make this happen.