Seeking good jobs? Well good luck

Seeking steady employment? Looking for the launching point for your career in selling knick-knacks and tchotchkes (Yiddish: An expensive trinket)? Or maybe something part time, just for some street cash? Well, on October 20, the Downtown Campus hosted a job fair. The administration was able to appeal to a number of local businesses and ask them to come and advertise jobs and openings. Gathering all these employers in one place and one is surely bound to find good employment, right?

Well, no. Having the employers readily accessible and available for questioning is only a very small part of a much larger process.

The process of employee acquisition and placement is a tad more complicated than what we see at first glance. There are a number of factors that apply. We had the opportunity to sit down and ask several employers questions regarding how to get a job in the market today. Even with the backdrop of a sluggish recovery from a terrible recession, there appears to be several small but concrete glimmers of hope.

Among many of the employers that were represented were such names as Potawatomi Bingo and Casino, Kwik Trip convenience stores, Milwaukee Center for Independence (MCFI), Target stores and several smaller organizations. The jobs, it appears, are making a comeback.

When we sat down to talk, we noticed several running themes across different employers with respect to what they are looking for in potential hires. There was a set of qualifications and personal traits that all of the employers seemed to be seeking while at our campus. Among them was presenting oneself professionally, taking a personal interest in the job, and showing initiative with regards to the position you are applying for.

“Don’t just say you are looking for anything. Show us that you are seriously interested in the job,” recommends Joua Xiong at MCFI. Showing a lack of interest in a position or showing apathy during the initial meeting or interview can sink any opportunity you have at getting a job. “Do research on the company you are applying for. Know their business – what they do, who their customers are, where they operate,” states Xiong.

“Knowledge is your best friend,” according to Corissa Daines with Kwik Trip.

We also asked if there was anything particularly appealing about MATC students and graduates. “MATC has a good qualifying set of students”, offers Mollie Lo from Paragon Community services. Several of the other employers tended to agree with this notion, with some stating that MATC students are extremely moldable and versatile.

Some even had a preference for hiring MATC students, even if they lacked on the job experience, so long as the applicant shows initiative and willingness to work.