Constitution day

“We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”This is the opening statement of the United States Constitution. On Wednesday, September 17, 2008, MATC recognized Constitution Day by setting up a table on the second floor of the S Building at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus and giving out free American flags and free copies of the U.S. Constitution and interesting facts about it.

The event, sponsored by the Office of Student Life, helped raise student awareness of the United States Constitution, as well as commemorate the day that 39 brave men signed this significant document that changed the course of history.

The Constitution plays a role in virtually every aspect of our lives as U.S. citizens. Without it women would not be able to vote, our nation would still allow slavery, and the MATC Times would not exist, since freedom of speech would not be allowed.

Think about it – without the Constitution, our government would not be the way it is today, we would not be able to elect the President of the United States, and our way of life as we know it would be drastically changed.

While not many people are aware of Constitution Day, we should take the time to learn about it and appreciate our founding fathers for establishing the Constitution and giving us the liberties we have today.