• “Minds are like flowers; they open only when the time is right.”–Stephen Richards

Dee brings inspiration to the classroom

MATC instructor Charlie Dee is nothing less than genuine. Growing up in St. Louis, Missouri and later on attending Denison University in Granville, Ohio, Dee has had a taste for teaching since he was young.
After being inspired by his high school and college professors, he decided to pursue an education in English, as well as American Studies.
After receiving his Masters degree in American Studies, he was hired on as a part-time faculty member at UWM. Today, Dee teaches History of The Vietnam War Years at the Downtown Campus as well as the West Campus. He enjoys giving all of his students the opportunity to build their futures no matter what their lives may be like outside of school.
Dee said, when asked about why he loves teaching, “Even on the worst day in the classroom it is still wonderful because something magical happens.”
He also takes pride in the fact that he pushes his students to succeed, not just in school, but in their lives as well. 31 glorious years of teaching later, Dee is now married with two grown children.
He indulges in hobbies such as cross country skiing, biking, white water kayaking, organic gardening and cooking. To this day, Dee is still passionate about what he does.
It is teachers like him that inspire the future educators
of tomorrow.