Grant to help with energy bills

Student Legal Clinic

Student Legal Clinic

Student Legal Clinic

Dear Student Legal Clinic,
I was unable to work this summer since I needed to take care of my grandmother who was sick with cancer.  She has since passed.  Now I have fallen behind with WE Energies.  I can’t study if they turn off the heat and lights. Where can I get help?
Signed
Holly

Dear Holly,
MATC has received a grant from the Great Lakes Higher Education Guaranty Corporation to help students with UNFORESEEN financial emergencies.
You may apply for this grant if this situation is unlikely to occur again, you have tried every other way to get help in resolving this situation, and you will have to quit school if you cannot get money to fix this problem.
If this is a problem with rent or a car, but nothing UNFORESEEN has happened, that may not qualify since you know rent is due each month and, if you own a car, you know there will be repairs needed.  MATC does provide the UPASS to help you get to school.
Since your problem is with your energy bill, you submit proof of the bill and proof that you have applied with Energy Assistance.
You may apply for this grant if you are eligible to receive the Pell grant, are enrolled in six or more credits, and your grade point is 2.0 or better.
You cannot apply if you are on suspension. If you are a new student without a grade point average yet, you must get emails or letters from your instructors saying that you are attending class and making satisfactory progress.
If you meet these requirements, go to https://matc.dreamkeepers.org/ to complete the application.  The MATC Dreamkeepers Administrator will review the application and call you for an interview or return the application to you for more documentation.
You MUST provide a one paragraph statement explaining why you need the money and how exactly this money will be used.  Everything that you state in your application must be verified.
You will need to explain what you will do to pay your energy bill going forward.
You will also need to explain what you will do if you do not get this grant.  You must answer all the questions and provide documentation with the application.  This is a scholarship and you should treat it as such, by submitting a complete application with all needed documentation.
The entire process may take a few days or weeks depending on your situation and the timing of the approval process and check processing.  Do not expect this process to be completed in a day or two.
For more questions or for help submitting the Dreamkeepers application, come to Room M346 or call 297-6630, or email [email protected].