• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

Strong family roots and love of education produces a true leader

Student Senator, Vlad Shteyn (center) and Senate President, Angela Olson (R) attentively listen as Cathy Lechmaier helps student Senate  members with their agenda at the recent meeting at Oak Creek. Lechmaier is well liked for her dedication as Student Li
    Photo by Nicholas Patrinos
    Student Senator, Vlad Shteyn (center) and Senate President, Angela Olson (R) attentively listen as Cathy Lechmaier helps student Senate members with their agenda at the recent meeting at Oak Creek. Lechmaier is well liked for her dedication as Student Li

It’s March 1977, and Cathy Lechmaier was just getting started. Prior, she had finished working at Mutual of Omaha insurance as a dental claims specialist. Now, as a graduate from MATC, and student leader, like everyone else has in her family, she wanted to make a difference. Lechmaier chose coming to MATC as a means to obtain that goal.

Love of education and student life propelled her into a lifelong mission of helping fellow students.

Former Dean of Students, Al Vanderport, hired her as the first Student Life Coordinator at the Oak Creek Campus. Lechmaier has spent most of her time there with only a short stint in the downtown location for training.

Lechmaier also received a Bachelors degree from UW-Milwaukee and a Masters from UW-Stout. All of Lechmaier’s children as well as her husband are MATC graduates.

Well-groomed roots

Lechmaier’s great uncle Robert L. Cooley (pictured right) was a founding director of MATC in 1912; at that time known as Milwaukee Continuation School.

Cooley, like Lechmaier, took a leadership stand, always putting students first and helping them acquire their dreams and goals.

As Cooley saw our school outgrow its original classrooms at Mason and Front Streets, he helped make the construction of the main building at 6th and State Streets a reality.

Cooley convinced city leaders of the benefits of developing a “practical learning” approach, which led to MATC becoming a leader for education in the midwest.

This term still lives on in the mission of MATC today. Cooley’s accomplishments and reputation in education greatly influenced Lechmaier’s family, pushing her into attending evening school.

“I’m hoping what he (Cooley) did enhances what I’m doing now at MATC,” according to Lechmaier.

Lechmaier’s “practical learning” roots are evident in her own approach with students. She is straightforward and always concerned for their well-being.

“(Lechmaier) treats all Senate members and students as if they were her own (family). . She is very unique and it is rare to find someone like this,” said Vlad Shteyn, Student Senator.

Student group involvement

As a former student and past President of the Student Senate, Lechmaier’s experience is well suited for her job.
    Her schedule is filled answering all sorts of “soup to nuts” questions, working with the Senate body and many other organizations, making sure they follow rules and regulations for these groups, including ASACC.

ASACC is the American Student Association of Community Colleges. This group helps produce student leaders. The association was born at MATC 26 years ago.
    Lechmaier is very involved with ASACC, which has over 245 member institutions.

In late March, Lechmaier returned from participating at the National Student Advocacy and Leadership Conference in Washington, D.C. along with MATC students.

Students’ rights, political issues and funding for students are among many topics discussed. Lechmaier is also a traveling advisor for WSG (Wisconsin Student Government).

Lechmaier has been contacted by the MATC 100 Year Anniversary Committee because of her special roots and highly acquired “practical learning” approach, making her a living legend among the student body.

There is no doubt Robert L. Cooley would be proud of his great niece.