• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

Prevent! (Oink) Promote! (Oink) Protect! (Us)

By now you are all familiar with the ever-changing face of the H1N1 virus. And lest you forget during one of our exams, we are reminded daily as we walk the halls to our next class.For the recent forum, “H1N1 Virus – Stay Informed, Be Prepared!” Mequon Campus had guest speakers Patty Ruth, Emergency Preparedness Coordinator, Ozaukee County; Glenda Madlom, Director/Health Officer, Ozaukee County Public Health Department; and Dessie Levy, Dean, Health Occupations, MATC.

Ruth reminded us that, at a June 11 meeting, the World Health Organization declared H1N1 a pandemic influenza which alarmed quite a few people and left others debating the issue of “over-reaction.”

As she described, “With planning and preparation, you will lessen the negative impact of this illness. Remember, you are in control.”

We are all memorizing the words of wisdom: Distance yourself from people who are coughing and sneezing and yes.cough and sneeze into the sleeve of your clothing or as Levy coined it, “cough etiquette.” And if you get sick, STAY HOME, STAY HOME.STAY HOME.

Regarding the H1N1 vaccine itself, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates it will be available for the high priority target groups in mid-October. Madlom adds, “This is not mandatory, it is all voluntary. And that’s an important message to carry on. We can make choices.”

According to Levy, MATC has organized “college-wide committees that consist of administrators and wellness coordinators, as well as faculty, looking to stay (on top) of the newest information, since it is changing daily.”

In addition to following the most current guidelines from the CDC, Levy mentioned the effort to “go green and save trees by putting H1N1 information on your website.” There is a wealth of Internet information available from MATC, Ozaukee County Public Health Department and the CDC.

As with anything serious in life, there is the balanced need for humor. John Hopkins University has created a page on their website devoted to humorous new meanings for words like Pig Latin, Glazed Ham and Hogwash.

Or, you have most likely been e-mailed or twittered this one, “What’s the difference between the bird flu and the swine flu?

For bird flu you need “tweetment” and for swine flu you need “oinkment.