PBS Kids’ Day at the Milwaukee County Zoo

Mr. Steve approaches one of his many fans.
    Photo by Alison Fortney

For the third consecutive year, Milwaukee Public Television hosted PBS Kids’ Day at the Milwaukee County Zoo on June 13, 2009.The idea of PBS Kids’ Day stemmed from the MPTV Friends and the station in general. Their idea was to do something in recognition of families that support the MPTV television services.

According to Kim Sosa, coordinator of the event, the purpose of Kids’ Day is “to bring families together, meet characters and tell us why they like public television.”

That is why this year’s event featured meet and greet opportunities with characters such as Clifford, Curious George, Word Girl, Martha Speaks and many more. People also had the opportunity to tell MPTV cameras why they liked PBS and possibly be featured on television.

Other features at this year’s event included participating in fun activities, such as arts and crafts, entering raffles to win fun prizes and even joining in a sing-a-long with Mr. Steve, a host of PBS Kids that is broadcasted nationwide.

Admission to the event was free to members and non-members. Non-members were also given a $40 six-month trial membership to the MPTV Friends Kids Club. This year’s event was a definite success, and fun was enjoyed by all.