• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

Students voice their suggestions at Listening and Learning Session at Mequon Campus

The Milwaukee Area Technical College District Board recently held their 2009-2010 Listening and Learning Session for the Mequon Campus. Present were: Board members Rick Monroe and Bert Davis; Fred Royal, MATC Board Director; Al Pinkney, MATC Interim VP, Student Services; and Michael M. Townsend Sr., VP MATC Mequon Campus.The whole focus of these sessions is to alert the Board to important issues at the campus that affect everyone: the students, the staff and the faculty. It is a unique event that many national campuses do not offer their students.

The issues at hand were not all new. Some had actually been brought up at previous Listening and Learning sessions held over a year ago, a point brought up by Nick Kasprzak, an Information Technology sophomore and President of the Student Senate at the Mequon campus.

Here are the lists of items covered at the Listening and Learning Session:

STUDENT ACCOMMODATIONS:

Kasprzak noted that this is one of his main concerns. The issue revolves around a lack of designated areas for students to take their tests and exams.

Added Kasprzak, “We do not have quiet testing centers – at all.” The board remembered this topic and noted that it was a top priority in the works for the campus.

Possibilities include the additions of partitions and individual computer testing stations.

GRAB ‘N GO:

One of the new Mequon students mentioned that the cafeteria had been a highlight when she initially toured the campus.

After years of bad high school food, it was something to look forward to. When the student actually started to attend MATC, she was shocked to see that the cafeteria was gone.

This disappearance left a large void for everyone in the room. Being able to sip and study, relax and converse between classes and enjoy warm food is an important staple for the students, staff and faculty.

Many are at the campus all day and rely on public transportation; so this is it for their food consumption.

Kasprzak also reiterated that currently the facility “is not even compliant with codes (regarding) handicapped accessibility.” He is worried that a future or current individual with a wheelchair will not be able to access the Grab ‘N Go.

COUNSELING:

Both the pros and the cons were presented by students and faculty.

A major concern was that various students’ needs were not being met from this department. Some felt as if they were being given the run-around.

As troubling as this information was, Dr. Townsend assured the students that the way to solve these systematic or even political issues is by letting him know they exist.

And just a quick reminder, the suggestion box outside the office next to the library is for students’ thoughts and suggestions and they do go to the Vice President for review. Adding your name is optional.

EMPLOYMENT:

The issue was brought up that it might be more economical for the school to hire student workers, considering the range of budget cuts.

It was pointed out that Wisconsin has Federal Work-Study Programs and students qualify based on their Financial Aid
    status. Students with the greatest need will have top priority. However, MATC hires union employees to perform certain jobs, and it wouldn’t be right to take away their work. Students are encouraged to stop in at Student Services and see if they qualify for this program.

THE BOOKSTORE:

Our current recession has altered the store’s schedule. New operating hours are posted on the bookstore’s door.

Faculty members have organized specific hours to have the bookstore opened so students can get their textbooks for courses with later start dates and changing curriculums.

BATHROOMS:

A final dilemma facing the Mequon Campus was an out-of-order stall in a well-traveled ladies’ room next to the Library. An entire semester had flown by and the problem still persisted.

Recently it had expanded to two inoperable stalls and the idea of a third causes concerns. All the stalls were fixed and open for business.