• “A world of grief and pain flowers bloom—even then.”– Kobayashi Issa

Poet’s ‘Ready’ to make his point

The MATC Phoenix is a magazine encouraging creative writing as a means for students and faculty to express themselves. And very shortly, one recent contributor for the Phoenix will be receiving attention on a national scale.

Nicholas Whitehead, author of highlighted poem, “Ready” is a reserved, yet concise, character. He is modest in saying he is his own worst critic.

This did not stop the committee, which compiled this year’s edition of the Phoenix, from recognizing Whitehead’s talent.

As a showcasing-literature website, “Poetry for the Mind’s Joy,” agreed in selecting “Ready” as a front-runner for the entire midwest region.

The spotlight will be shared with other noteworthy poets in community colleges across the nation. Every winner’s work will be open to public viewing in just a few short months on the “Poetry for the Mind’s Joy” web pages. The website is organized by Poet Laureate Kay Ryan yearly.

Nicholas comments that, “It was nice to have it happen. It felt good to know someone else enjoyed it other than myself.” In theme, “Ready” is about appreciating what one has in a poignant experience to make it last for eternity.

In the work, Nicholas writes of his two-year old son, Ronin:

The most striking quality “Ready” possesses is to catch a reader by surprise in true intimacy. The work seems to suggest gratitude for anything fine in life.

The inspiration drawn from the poem is a fond recollection for Nicholas, like it was yesterday. “We had just seen ‘Spiderman: the Motion Picture’ and Ronin was imitating a movie stunt scene, and he jumped from the edge of the sofa.”

This normally might be the worst nightmare for the parent of a toddler; but it was a moment Nicholas Whitehead wanted to capture forever. And he did so in verse, mentally photographing the moment for all to see, when the time was right.

With school, a child to support and love and yet another one on the way, Nicholas reflects of days simply running one into the next. He granted reprieve to himself by dropping to three-quarter time as a student. “I had to, just to get that time with my family back.”

Asked about styles of writing, Nicholas Whitehead said, “The shortest number of words say the most to capture a moment in time.” His aim is to be compact and profound simultaneously. “Rhyming isn’t as important as tempo; that is more of the right words in the right order.”

The poet would also never make an enemy of a fellow writer or an amateur obviously needing improvement. “Poems are really more for catharsis, a cleansing therapy which allows disconnection from a temporarily bad situation in addressing issues.”

Like a good number of poets, Whitehead doesn’t keep the reader in mind while writing. Instead, the focus is any one message chosen from contemplating a work. He indirectly tempts, “Let readers find out on their own.”

Our school’s newest entrant on the literary scene proudly affirms love for writing will ever be undying. “I always have to write, even if not meant for the public eye.

If I feel excited or nervous after finishing a poem, I know it’s worth sharing.

The epiphany or enlightenment really helps in need for sharing that expression.