Who will be our next president?

MATC is seeking a new president. However, this presidential election will be different from previous occasions. The administration board is in collaboration with the Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) in order to find a capable and prominent individual to manage the institution and secure a stable future.

A walk-in meeting, hosted by ACCT Board Specialist Julie Golder, was held on September 9 at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus, where students and faculty were given the opportunity to discuss the expectations and possible challenges this person would face once elected into office.

The individuals who were in attendance touched on several topics that mostly dealt with the college’s economic situation.

Among the issues discussed were the college’s current budget, which is at a halt for the time being. MATC is reluctant to hire new staff, but has restrained from dismissing personnel.

MATC has experienced high enrollment rates this semester, generally due to the nation’s economic status. Many of the new individuals are unemployed or face financial difficulties and require economic assistance to attend classes.

Several students spoke in favor of lowering the requirements to receive this financial aid. This is an issue that has surfaced numerous times before and has been brought to the U.S government’s attention. The future president will be faced with these challenges as well as the task to develop the institution into an esteemed technical college in the Midwest.

The administration board stated the desire to build and nourish ties with the community in order to contribute to the public and benefit its students. MATC looks forward not only to growing within the business community, but with the general public as well to offer more educational opportunities to its society.

This is a concern with critical magnitude in times of employment adversity. The goal of MATC is to assure the success of its alumni and also to affect its surroundings in positive ways.

The MATC board also expects the future president to have certain expected qualities.

One of the qualities that was mentioned was a proven track record of professional success. Enrollment is increasing annually, and the college, as well as the community, needs someone who has the experience in managing successful organizations.

This will secure the continuation of the successful administration MATC has experienced throughout its well established history.

The faculty and students would also like to see a person who will be committed to his or her obligations and responsibilities. This person is likely expected to reflect the character and qualities expected for student success during MATC and post-MATC years.

The board of directors has set a target date for applications of October 26, which will be reviewed in early November.

They plan to interview final candidates in late November and a president will be elected in mid-December. The president will assume his or her position sometime during January or February.