Long lines not only cost time, but money

Long lines at the Oak Creek bookstore cause frustration for not only the students, but the staff as well. Not only does the staff have to assist students, but also they must play security guard. According to Barb Bretl, Store Specialist for the Oak Creek Campus, during the rush, students began by waiting in line once they had their books. “And then all of a sudden they’ll just wander around the store and walk out.”

“We don’t have a sophisticated security system and the security guard is not always available to observe,” Bretl added. Every semester they usually catch at least two students.

And it isn’t just books students are stealing. “(Last semester) we lost a total of three backpacks worth about $150,” Bretl said.

This doesn’t include books, which value between $35 and $250. Bretl also explained students have even stolen notebooks, pens and other small items.

There is a plan to implement a new security system, “something to stop them at the door,” Bretl explained.

The plan is to put strips on items and when students cross through the door with any stolen goods, it’ll beep.

However, at this time there is no set date for when this will be in place. Until then, they’ll just have to manage.

“It’s hard to keep track because we have three registers going. The store is very crowded; you can’t watch students all the time.