Introducing our new president

This semester not only welcomes new students, but a new college president as well. Dr. Michael Burke comes to Milwaukee from San Jose, California, where he was President of San Jose City College for the last two years.

However, when he heard MATC was looking for a new president, he became interested. “The language (of MATC’s mission statement) spoke the same values I have,” he said.

“I applied on purpose,” he added. Other reasons he wanted to come here were that he was impressed with the innovation and technological education we offered.

Burke added that MATC is “well regarded in the technical education system.”

He believes in helping those who have been underrepresented, and desires to “level the playing field” when it comes to education.

Burke said that he likes to be around students. “You will see a lot of me.”

He added that he had lunch with the Downtown Milwaukee Student Senate just before the date of this interview. “I’ve been known to play basketball with students before.”

He also explained how he is interested in working within Milwaukee’s community to reach out to see what they need.

“Frankly, it’s a tough time and they need us,” he said.

According to Kathleen Hohl, Director of Public Relations, currently MATC has a formal presence in 31 community-based organizations in Milwaukee.

While at San Jose City College, Burke worked with faculty to design two new buildings.

He wanted the faculty’s input because “they were the ones who were going to be teaching in there.”

Also discussed by Burke were the difficulties the college was having due to both the economy and the fact that California offers inexpensive tuition for its community colleges.

The state had a $28 billion deficit, and tuition at the community colleges is only $26 per credit – free for those with a low income.

He said they that had to lay people off, but tried to “protect critical areas” for students.

Ultimately, some student areas were affected, such as book grants and bus passes. Burke described the feeling of losing those services for students as “lousy.”

Burke is married and has a daughter, Jenna, who is 15.

His wife, Deborah, is the Director of Human Resources for the United Way, and is currently in California with Jenna who desires to finish her school year in California before moving here.