Students give top service

John Van Himbergen and Jesse Mesick make sure everyones sweet tooth is satisfied with fresh pastries and desserts.
    Photo by Noel Tanner
    John Van Himbergen and Jesse Mesick make sure everyone’s sweet tooth is satisfied with fresh pastries and desserts.

On October 2nd and 3rd I had the pleasure to attend the second annual “Wine & Dine Wisconsin 2010.” The event was a total success and MATC, as one of the main exhibitors, was there to help make it happen. Students from the culinary, baking, meeting and event management and hotel hospitality management were all attending and meeting other professionals in their fields.
    Having never attended one of these events before I was almost overwhelmed. However, I was also incredibly impressed with how well all of our students presented themselves and their areas of expertise.
    Besides sampling and drinking there were demonstrations all around the arena, where various groups showed hungry onlookers how to prepare various dishes.
    While they were very busy, I did have the chance to catch a few students on break and ask them how they felt about their thoughts on the event.
    All of them agreed that the experience was very rewarding, because they had the chance to try all the different cuisines from chefs who have been in the business for many years.
    The college does require a certain amount of volunteer hours, for each student to complete. Several had actually already completed their hours, from last year, but agreed to volunteer again because they enjoyed it so much.
    “There’s not many programs at MATC where you can really see our students in their element,” says Rich Bussalacci, Associate Dean of the Hospitality, who also managed most of the MATC groups at the event. “[Here] people can see our students in that element and see what it is that we’re training them to do. The students also get great experience.”
    Also at the event was Catherine Mayhew, a student at
    MATC who will be graduating this December. She is already currently working with Maxie’s Southern Comfort and Blue’s. On top of that she is also one of the 16 candidates for the AFC Student Chef of the Year contest.
    There was another MATC graduate, Jason Tofte, from 2003, who was working as a chef at Eddie Martini’s.
    It was nice to see these students, who found work in their fields and are enjoying it. Examples like that are things that current students can really look to for hope
    after graduation.

Culinary student Catherine Mayhew is already employed at two restaurants. Mayhew will be graduating in Fall of 2010. (Noel Tanner)

Hospitality student Nina Crawford shows her perfection and organizatiional skills at the wine glass tables. (Noel Tanner)

(L-R) Students Anthony Scardino and James Landowski display their enthusiasm making stuffed “Potstickers.” (Noel Tanner)

(L-R) Twilla Wheeler, Chris Liu, Educational Assistant, and Cedric Wallace take time out for a photo. (Noel Tanner)

Students Cedric Wallace, Domion Washington, Krystal Hollins, Teng Xiong, Melanie Stenshaug, and Paul Yorada, listen to Chef John Reiss providing instructions for the “Wine & Dine” Saturday segment. (Noel Tanner)