What is CERT?

Community Emergency Response Team, or CERT, is a team of citizens who have participated in training that will prepare them to respond to emergencies in their communities. When disaster strikes, CERT trained individuals will be better equipped to provide immediate assistance to their families and neighbors, as well as collect critical information needed by first responders when they arrive. CERT training is taught by a team of professional first responders and includes basic training in areas of disaster preparedness, fire suppression, medical operations, light search and rescue operations, terrorism awareness and disaster psychology.

The MATC Department of Public Safety (DPS) has adopted the CERT program to strengthen MATC’s emergency preparedness plans. The goal is to keep our students, faculty, staff and visitors safe during any emergency. More than 50 members of the MATC community have already received CERT training. MATC can rely on them to assist students, co-workers and visitors during emergencies and evacuations and to provide us with valuable feedback. This training is also valuable if the individuals are faced with an emergency situation when away from MATC.

CERT training is free and open to all members of the MATC community, and students are encouraged to receive training. For more information on upcoming training dates, please contact MATC Public Safety Specialist Shari Olszewski at 414-297-6588.