• “A world of grief and pain flowers bloom—even then.”– Kobayashi Issa

MATC is looking out for you.

MATC has started implementing Lockdown Procedures at every campus to educate and inform students on what to do in serious situations. Beginning in late September, each location had help from their local Police Departments in making their respective schools safer for students. Due to other institutions having problems, (such as an armed man in their school), MATC Public Safety are doing what they feel is necessary to avoid such conflicts.
    At the downtown location, Specialist S. Olszewski gave reasons why these procedures are necessary. The purpose is so individuals (both students as well as faculty), know what to do when a situation really happens. Public Safety wants people to know enough to avoid getting hurt in a dangerous situation and have prepared for many months through workshops.
    Currently, MATC is only mandated to do the Lockdown once per year but, due to the steady influx of students coming and going, they hope to do it once per semester. The problem with this amount of individuals coming and going is: the lack of knowledge students not taking these drills seriously.
    Members of the faculty were informed of the proper procedures for these drills via e-mail. The faculty was instructed to secure their rooms by shutting off the lights and locking the doors. Although there were many good things that occurred (most rooms following the aforementioned procedures), there were some faculty that either weren’t aware what to do or possibly weren’t properly educated on what needed to be done. These situations can be taken care of through better education.
    Many students may have seen the informational signs posted around (in the downtown location, it is located across from the Academic Center in the Main Building). Other postings are on the electronic message board as well as on the website for matc.edu (public safety).
    The postings will change when there is Fire prevention awareness in October. Public Safety will also be performing drills for this as well. Another drill scheduled to occur is for Severe Weather (tornado, hurricane, etc).
    Public Safety does have help though. There are members of the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), which help by volunteering to assist Public Safety.
    Members of CERT have 20 hours of training (that includes what happens in a worst-case scenario). During the drills, CERT members are utilized to assist as “floor captains” and act as leaders. Outside of the CERTs, students may volunteer as well.