• “A world of grief and pain flowers bloom—even then.”– Kobayashi Issa

VITA: A way to get your income taxes completed for free

by Ivone Tjoeng
    Downtown Campus EditorStarting in late January MATC’s accounting students, trained by the Internal Revenue Service and supervised by MATC’s instructors, will be hosting free tax help service to the public.

This service is being offered for the 7th year at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus and for

the 27th year at the Oak Creek Campus.

Cooperating with the Wisconsin Department of Revenue and the IRS’ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) programs, the students will provide help in preparing basic personal income tax returns for free.

To ensure accuracy and speed, all returns are e-filed.

The VITA program starts on January 27 and runs through April 15 at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus. Located in the Main Building at 1015 N. 6th St. Room M173, the VITA program will be open from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays and 10 a.m. to noon on Saturdays.

The first 25 clients will receive assistance on weeknights with the first 50 clients being served on Saturdays.

Senior citizens receive priority service. For taxpayers 62 years of age and older, a volunteer will be assigned exclusively.

At the Oak Creek Campus, the program begins on January 28 and runs through April 4. Located in Room A100, the program will be open on Wednesdays from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 p.m. to noon.

The first 25 clients will be assisted at each session. The basic requirement to get the free service is to have family income of less than $54,000 per year.

The following materials are required for help:

Wage and earnings statements (W-2 forms)

Bank interest statements (1099 forms)

A copy of last year’s tax return

Photo identification

Receipts for property taxes paid

Certificate for rent paid (signed by landlord)

Social Security cards for spouses and dependents

Social Security number or tax ID numbers for providers of child care

Any other relevant information about earnings and expenses

Your bank routing number and account number, since most refunds are directly deposited into a checking or savings account.

For more information please contact Bobbie Sherrod, 414-297-8417, at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus or Jim Benedum, 414-571-4757, at the Oak Creek Campus.