Driving toward a green tinted future

The fifth annual Green Vehicles Workshop cruised through MATC Friday, April 4, driving in alternative energy and fuel efficient vehicles. Over 15 presenters spoke to students, faculty, business leaders, lawmakers and guests about the benefits of driving green by displaying current energy technology and designs of the future. The popularity of energy efficient vehicles is increasing with concerns about energy independence, end of the cheap oil era and global warming.

With costs of oil barrels constantly reaching new highs and anticipation of unleaded gas hitting $4 a gallon, consumers are becoming more aware about alternative fuel options. The Green Vehicles Workshop highlighted electric, ethanol, biodiesel, compressed natural gas (CNG) and propane fuels.

On display in the MATC courtyard were over a dozen alternative fuel vehicles. During the lunch break attendees admired the innovative cars such as a biodiesel Mercedes, plug-in hybrid, propane, electric and CNG.

The event was hosted by MATC and co-sponsored by the Milwaukee Hybrid Group, Wisconsin Clean Cities, We Energies and Wisconsin Engine Manufacturers and Distributors Alliance.

Bradlee Fons, co-founder of the Milwaukee Hybrid Group, has been actively involved with the Green Vehicles Workshop since it began. The Milwaukee Hybrid Group is the largest hybrid group in North America, gaining over 500 members since they were founded barely over two years ago. The group aims to support and teach new hybrid owners, as well as educate drivers with techniques to achieve maximum gasoline savings.

“We are an energy illiterate culture,” said Fons. “We need to get more educated, get help and motivation.”

According to Fons, hybrid vehicles are more mainstream and thus debunking the “urban myth” that surrounds the battery technology. Hybrid batteries are not more hazardous than lead-acid batteries and, in fact, a hybrid Toyota Prius original battery can last several hundred thousand miles.

Not every driver can afford a hybrid. The Milwaukee Hybrid Group offers information about EcoDriving and has a Drive Smart America program which aims to help students learn techniques on how to save money by driving differently.

Fons encourages drivers to “drive less and drive smart when you do.” Key techniques include regular tune-ups, maintaining tire pressure, increasing speed moderately and steadily, removing extra weight from the vehicle and avoid having an engine idle.

“Hundreds of barrels will be saved if we drive the speed limit,” said Fons. By avoiding speeds above 55 mph and maintaining a consistent speed at all times, one can save gas up to $0.51 per gallon, which is based on $2.31 per gallon by the U.S. Department of Energy.

If eco-driving initiatives are followed we will save money, lower emissions, have less dependence on oil and help the environment. One does not need an alternative fuel vehicle to make a green imprint.

The Milwaukee Hybrid Group will be hosting Hybridfest July 19-20 in Madison, which Fons calls “Green Vehicles on steroids.