• “A world of grief and pain flowers bloom—even then.”– Kobayashi Issa

Whipped and bruised

Nominated for the Bronze Horse award at Stockholm’s Film Festival, Whip It whips up something more than most of us expect – a downright good movie. Producer/Director Drew Barrymore debuts her directorial skills in this more-than-just-a-chick-flick film, jamming past the pack with this action-adventure.

Bliss Cavendar (Ellen Page, Juno) is a misunderstood teen, full of angst and teenage rebellion. Her mother Brooke (Marcia Gay Harden) always wanted a beauty pageant daughter.

And her father Earl (Daniel Stern) was living life with a terrible secret: he loves football.

Bliss calls upon the help of her BFF Pash (Alia Shawkat) to debunk her of the miserable small-town life, after Bliss discovers a flyer for a roller derby event during a shopping trip in Austin with her pageant-driven mother.

There are only a few problems with this.

Problem 1: Bliss isn’t allowed to go. The best friends scheme and finagle their way to the show, and Bliss is in bliss with the team.

Problem 2: Bliss isn’t 21. So she lies about her age, and becomes her alter ego Babe Ruthless. She comes up with a plan to move to Austin, maintain her roller derby status, and live the all-American dream by living out her dreams.

Problem 3: How is she going to let her mom know she doesn’t want to be a beauty queen?

Problems don’t have simple answers. This movie proves that even girl problems can be complex.

With all the action of a raw, uncut Fight Club, this movie will be sure to please both the lovey-dovey girlie girls, and the man’s man who will go just to please their girlfriends.