West Allis Senate minutes

At a recent Senate meeting for the West Allis Campus, Senate members had discussed changes they feel would benefit students. The list included items such as books, changing the start time of the spring semester, and tuition costs. The price of textbooks was first on the agenda. Ideas students had to combat book costs were to provide book rentals or offer books online. Another idea was to participate in a book exchange with other colleges such as UWM and Marquette.

Students also discussed shifting the spring semester. They felt the long lag between the fall and spring semesters could be shortened by two weeks, which would allow students to finish two weeks sooner. This would give MATC students a jump-start at summer jobs and internships.

The last item discussed was more for a future thought, a mere “wish list” item. They had discussed tuition costs. According to Jerry O’Sullivan, Student Life coordinator for West Allis Campus, tuition costs at a two-year college in California are $20/credit. That same class at MATC costs $100/credit.

The Senate members are aware that in this tough economic time asking for additional funding for education is impossible. There’s just isn’t any more money. However, the Senate understands the fear for many students.

That fear is when they enter the job market, the average starting pay in many fields won’t compensate for the massive college debt they’ll end up having.