“Branded” misses the mark

Debra Perdue Henderson’s “Branded” is about Amy Collins who recounts her story of her abduction.

During the story, she is systematically raped to groom her into prostitution.

The title itself comes from the concept of the brand she receives from her abductors, but also to the stigma that becomes associated with the prostitution.

Henderson writes, “This book is dedicated to all children who are abducted, raped, beaten, tied up, starved, caged, and drugged. The violence, fear and trauma they experience will never been fully comprehended. This book honors their inner strength, for they are true survivors of the world.”

With poor word usage and sentence structure, along with a lacking plot, there needed more editing of this book.

Everything seemed to be in very basic blank backgrounds without much description and very nondescript clothing. Henderson tries to justify the actions of her characters by saying that killing people on this magnitude is the cost of doing business with children prostitutes.

I personally did not like this book mostly due to the utter lack of understanding and authority of this subject.

“Branded” has many missed opportunities, which could have helped raise actual awareness on child abductions and prostitution, but instead it tries to redeem people’s actions by blaming the demand for a terrible service.