Quality and value in sight

MATC offers many excellent benefits to its students, including an outstanding opportunity to purchase low-cost eyeglasses.The MATC Opticianry Science program offers students and their families great eyeglasses at very low prices.

All you need is your MATC ID and a recent eyeglass prescription and you can buy name-brand frames with the lenses you need. New lenses can even be made using your current glasses as a model.

The program has its dispensary in the H Building of the Downtown Milwaukee Campus in Room H133. Laurie Zielinski, Program Coordinator, invites all students needing glasses to bring in their prescriptions and check out the designer frames that are available.

Even if you don’t need new glasses, maybe someone in your family or a friend does. They’re welcome, too. Just make sure that you come with them and bring your MATC ID.

The hours for getting glasses are Mondays, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Tuesdays, 9 a.m. to noon and Wednesdays, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. You’ll need to set aside about 30 minutes for fitting, and you should get your glasses within two weeks. The last fittings are the first week of May. For more information, call the dispensary at 414-297-8018.

The dispensary offers frames from Guessr, Vera Wangr, Timexr, Hush Puppiesr, Cynthia Rowlingr and Furlar among others – all for prices ranging from $15 to $150. Frames can be had for as much as $100 less than retail.

Lenses start at $30 each and go up from there, depending on your needs. With all types of lenses available including plastic, poly carbonate, no-line bifocals and transitional lenses, your needs will be met. On top of that, the workmanship is guaranteed.

According to Ms. Zielinski, all lenses adhere to ANSI standards. As she says, “The students are held to rougher standards than most opticians, so there is no worry about a quality product.”

Maybe you don’t need glasses, but you’re looking for a career. If you’re like many students and are unsure of what you want to do when you graduate, the Opticianry Science program might be the program for you.

It is a growing field with good pay. Graduates have earning potential of $26,000 to $31,000 annually. Experienced opticians in management can expect to earn up to $50,000 per year.

Ms. Zielinski calls the profession “healthcare without the yuck!” And, according to the program’s informational brochure, with one baby boomer turning 50 every seven and one-half seconds, like all healthcare fields, the demand for opticians has never been greater.

Whether you need new glasses or you’re looking for an excellent paying career, take the time to visit the MATC Opticianry program in Room H133.

If you want more information, you can e-mail Laurie Zielinski at [email protected] or telephone MATC Health Occupations Division at 414-297-6263. They’re looking forward to your visit.