• “A world of grief and pain flowers bloom—even then.”– Kobayashi Issa

Phoenix magazine recipient of top literary awards

The Phoenix, an MATC-based creative writing and photography publication, has experienced national recognition and prominence in the past few years. The magazine, which is filled with pages of art and writing, started in 1969 and has developed into a legitimate place where current and former students, as well as faculty and staff, can express their writing and visual art skills.

The Phoenix consists of essays, photographs, short stories, illustrations, poems and plays.

According to June Roque, former adviser for the Phoenix and current communications instructor, the publication is managed by the MATC English department. Unfortunately, the magazine is currently not in production.

The Phoenix submits an issue to the American Scholastic Press Association, which handles thousands of college publications from every part of the nation, every time one is produced.

The publication has earned the award for First Place with Special Merit for five consecutive years from the ASPA.

In 2008, the Phoenix stood out above all competition. It received two awards from the ASPA. The awards were for Best College Literary Art Magazine and First Place with Special Merit.

Roque also mentioned Reggie Finlayson and Gary Longrie who are current instructors. Longrie, she added, helped start the program in 1969 along with four other English instructors.

There are numerous colleges in the nation as well as publications that compete. This is a very special honor for the Phoenix.

The hard work and talent that the faculty and students express in the production of the magazine has certainly been rewarded.
    The publication is no stranger to national recognition, as it has received numerous awards in the past, as well in its 40-year history.

According to Roque, the English department is working to resume the publication of this magazine.

“One of the major obstacles is the time needed to produce the Phoenix,” she added.