Phyllis Bennis recently spoke to a group of students, including two Economics classes, and faculty about stopping the war in Afghanistan. She said the war was unnecessary because the Afghan government

World-renowned photographer John Dominis gave a speech to MATC students on October 29. Dominis has covered many historical events, including the Korean War, the beginning of the Vietnam War, Woodstock, the firing of General Douglas MacArthur and John F. Kennedy’s “Ich bin ein Berliner” speech for LIFE magazine.His speech was truly an inspiration to all who attended. He discussed how he spent months in Africa, Vietnam, other parts of Asia and many other locations – all this to get some good pictures for an article.

He spoke about growing up and how he worked with so many different people while working for LIFE magazine.

Now 88, Dominis worked for LIFE magazine from 1950 to 1972. He is one of a few living photographers who worked for this famed magazine.

He has covered five Olympics, capturing the famous “Black Power Salute” by Tommie Smith and John Carlos after winning Olympic medals during the 1968 games.

He represented LIFE and TIME during President Richard Nixon’s 1972 trip to China.

In addition to covering news and political events he photographed many celebrities and sports figures, including The Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Steve McQueen, Robert Redford, Mickey Mantle and Ernie Banks, many of whom he spent weeks getting to know.

Dominis also made two long trips to Africa to photograph leopards, cheetahs and lions for a series of photo essays in LIFE, which later became the basis for a book.

After the original LIFE magazine ceased regular publication, he worked for People and Sports Illustrated.

He is, to this day, one of the most influential people for anyone who is interested in photography or the visual arts.