• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

Times paper wins award

A group of the Times student editors were in Los Angeles this March, attending the national 2011 College Journalism Conference, which is a continuation of their hands-on newsroom education, focusing on seminars and lectures by prominent experts in the field of journalism. The students found out that they had received third place (out of ten) for the: Associated Collegiate Press, “Best of Show Award” for a Two-Year College Newspaper. It was “presented for general excellence at the National College Journalism Convention in Los Angeles.
    Logan Aimone, is the executive director of the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) which is the non-profit organization that plans these various events around the nation. The Associated Collegiate Press (ACP) is the branch of the NSPA that handles all the four and two-year, public and private colleges and universities. According to Aimone, having the 2011 conference in Los Angeles gave the college students “more than a glimpse into having the whole Hollywood experience.”
    In addition to noted law professors and experts in the motion picture industry, this year’s speakers were various journalists who had contributed to the Los Angeles Times and the areas of sports, science and business. The new film by famed actor/director, Robert Redford was screened for the attendees. Redford held a one-of-a-kind private press conference the following day for all interested students and their advisors.
    Students volunteer for the MATC Times in a variety of editorial and staff writing, graphic design and photography positions throughout the semester. Bob Hanson, is the faculty adviser for the student-run paper in addition to signing up and accompanying the students on all of the trips. Hanson adds that, “It is a unique opportunity that (students) can transfer into any career, as the skill sets are beneficial for any career path and point in life.”
    When asked about reminiscing on the different conferences and seminars attended, Hanson wanted to make it clear to our readers that the student journalists, photographers and graphic designers have to earn these trips, that they are not just handed out frivolously. “We try to spend (get our) biggest bang for our dollar. That’s why we share rooms, and I look for airfares months ahead of time,” adds Hanson “We always try to get the best deal for our money.”
    The same principles that guide MATC as a whole are also encouraged by Hanson. “Dealing with students from different backgrounds and diversity, learning how to work collaboratively, learning how to follow deadlines, communicate both verbally and in written form. These are those little things that every student can benefit from.”
    For the student is it a continuing outlet not just to gather and craft stories, but to learn about design and layout. There is the power to investigate their own leads, obtain interviewing skills and learn about how to apply ethics in the real world. The story subject matters and interviews all pertain to and revolve around the MATC community.