Stop the excuses

Choosing to have a baby, only to violently beat it later, appears to be the “in thing.” It seems that practically everyday we hear another story of some child being brutally beaten. In most cases, it’s done by the child’s own parents, or the mother’s boyfriend. This is just ridiculous!I was just watching the news, and some fool felt that holding his eight-week-old child by the ankles and smashing her head on the changing table was a great parenting tool. He told police that she wouldn’t stop crying. And we’ve all heard about people shaking their babies, either to death or causing brain damage, for the same reason. What are they thinking?!

Let me clear this up for all the soon-to-be parents: babies cry. They do. And when they get older, their cries get louder. It’s the only way they have to communicate. It is never meant to be anything personal. Especially when they are babies, they have no other way to express anything they are feeling.

If you expect your child to be perfectly well behaved, or cause no problems, listen up. They will never be perfect. They will cry, loudly. They will challenge you, daily. They will push you beyond all limits. It’s just what kids do.

I’m not sure what the problem even is. Whether you agree with it or not, abortion is legal in this state. I’m not sure why a person, who apparently has a difficulty with stress doesn’t consider this. To make this clear, I am not pro-choice, nor am I completely pro-life. I just think, at least then the baby wouldn’t have to live through such horror.

However, abortion isn’t the only option; they can give the child up for adoption. In spite of the horror stories, I doubt its life could end up worse. There are thousands of people who desperately want a child of their own. Imagine being that person, desiring a child with all that you have, only to see those so blessed, treating them like garbage. Life can be cruelly unfair.

Maybe before a baby is even an issue, people need to think about the person they are with. This becomes even more important after a child is here.

There are more important qualities to a person, than how they look, how much money is in their bank account, or how tough they are. I add that one because so many women I’ve known like those tough guys, until they got “tough” with them. I’m not saying they’re all like that, but in my experience many of them are. All of those qualities miss what’s important.

The qualities that should be sought after include: being compassionate, confidence, being secure with oneself, someone that wants you to succeed, someone who is caring. There are more that I could list, but this isn’t meant to be a guide. I’m just making a point. Qualities that are from within are more important than qualities from without. Although these traits may seem weak to some, they’re wrong. It takes great strength to care about others more than yourself.

Taking the time to get to know someone, truly know someone, can help prevent tragedies such as what that “man” did to his little baby girl.

It is also important for people to know themselves well. Sure, nobody is perfect, but imperfection isn’t justification for someone to abuse you or your child. And if he or she beats on children, there isn’t a great leap for them to beat on you. Think about that.

The words beat and abuse have been used a lot. I want it to be understood that I am not talking about spankings. I am not even willing to debate that one.

I have heard the views from both sides, and believe they both have valid points. Many spankers would never go to the extremes such as what happens in a beating.

A spanking involves smacking the child’s bottom, and for many, after the spanking they talk to the child, explain why they were spanked, and then hug them to let them know they’re still loved.

A beating involves brutality. The abuser hits the child with great violent force, causing real harm, anywhere on the body. If they explain anything to the child, the child is usually told “because you made me mad.”

A spanking is meant to teach, but a beating is meant to punish.

It’s strange to me that we live in a world where anything we want to know is at our fingertips, yet when it really matters most, we don’t search for the information. Even if someone doesn’t have a computer, there are other avenues. Many places offer parenting classes that will teach someone how to deal with those frustrating moments.

Anyone can contact social services to find help. I can understand how it may be embarrassing to ask for help, but that embarrassment is magnified exponentially when you’re the next one on the news for brutally beating your child. If you, or someone you know, needs help, please get the help you need.

I believe that it takes a village to raise a child; no one can do it completely on their own. Children can be hard for anybody. It’s not a sign of weakness to need help with them; it’s a sign of weakness if you don’t.