Free Haircuts? Yes Please!

The cosmetology department has been offering free adult haircuts throughout the semester at the Downtown Campus. This writer recently paid a visit to the department, located in the M Building, in rooms M-124 and M-126. It was there that Mr. George Gomez, the proctor in charge of the cosmetology class was working at the time. He was kind enough to take several minutes to answer some questions about the program.
    He was able to discuss several facets of offering free haircuts, which benefit everyone, according to Mr. Gomez. Among the greatest benefits to the students are the ability to hone their craft, they are able to practice with many different types of hair, and they garner valuable hands-on experience.
    The haircuts are offered for free as a means of practice; however that doesn’t mean that someone is going to trim you with a Toro lawnmower – on the contrary, students work under the close supervision of a proctor so that they are able to catch and fix any potential mistakes before they become bad-hair days. This is a great means of quality assurance, so that customers will be encouraged to return. Under supervision, students are allowed to become proficient with cutting and styling, using modern styles and techniques to prepare them for the real world.
    Haircuts are offered for free in the department, but they also offer several other services for a nominal fee, usually just to cover the cost of materials. There are many workstations and lots of cosmetic equipment for the students to learn on.
    In the cosmetology program, students are prepared for working in the field in as short as two semesters. Job prospects look about the same as any other field in the current job market, so students will have to compete for the jobs that are available. However, Mr. Gomez notes that MATC grads have a reasonably successful job placement rate.
    On a parting note, Mr. Gomez made a request: “We need clients.” They need more people to come down and receive haircuts, to make sure the students get adequate practice.
    Anyone affiliated with MATC can go down and receive a free haircut – faculty, staff, and students.
    Haircuts are offered on select Mondays and Thursdays, early in the morning.