Breathing is a hairy situation

Through sitting in particular parts of the Main building at the Downtown Campus. I have not only noticed, but have heard certain comments about the air quality in this particular building. It is not uncommon for it to seem like its 80 degrees in the basement of the Main building and for it to be about 50 degrees on the 6th floor. I decided that it was time to ask some questions. Upon speaking to: Sue Ruggles, the American Federation of Teachers (AFT-212) Union Health and Safety Representative, who also co-chairs the Joint Indoor Air Quality Committee. Some of the questions that I decided to ask were: How is the air monitored? Why is it that sometimes some classes are hot and some are really cold? When do the vents get cleaned? What about the fumes and cigarette smoke that comes into the classrooms in the basement?
    Some of the answers weren’t so simple because according to Ruggles, “all campuses have different air handling systems and different maintenance staffs.” Ruggles also indicated that the Joint Indoor Air Quality Committee handles problems and concerns that people have and try to get them fixed. They deal with ventilation, odors, water damage, construction and dust issues.
    An example was when there was work being done on the building and debris was dumped into a dumpster at the loading dock, creating clouds of dust inside the building. Is this really the right place to be putting it? If it is brought to the Building Services, what needs to be done before something gets done? Sue Ruggles then indicated that a Request for Action form should be filled out. If there is temperature concern, they tell people to call Building Services at: 297-6677.
    I know from personal experience that a broken clock in our building went unattended to for 3 months. Why would I continue to call them when nothing gets done for that amount of time? I understand that this may sound negative, but through this Committee, they are doing things to improve the current situations that the downtown campus is encountering. Included in this was an invitation to sit in on the next meeting (which I will be unable to attend, due to classes). I appreciated the request and will go to future committee meetings, which other students are encouraged to do as well.
    This brings me to my final point though. I don’t think it’s fair to not only myself but my classmates and instructors to have to deal with poor quality air inside this building. To have to deal with both the smell of truck fumes in the loading/delivery area, and also having to deal with faculty and students who decide to use the outside of the building (especially in the basement by Room M129) as their own personal ashtray.
    For example, if an individual looks at the ground in front of the S building, they will see that it says that there isn’t any smoking within 25 feet of the building. If that’s the case, then why isn’t it enforced on the side of the buildings?
    Its fine if these individuals want to smoke on their own time and at their own place, but as for me; no thanks.