• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

Oak Creek Student Senate is the voice of the students

Oak Creek Campus Student Life advisor, Cathy Lechmaier, sitting with Student Senate member, Josh Lechmaier, at the recent Senate meeting.
    Photo by Bob Hanson
    Oak Creek Campus’ Student Life advisor, Cathy Lechmaier, sitting with Student Senate member, Josh Lechmaier, at the recent Senate meeting.

Many of us have heard the term “Student Senate.” While some of you may know one, do you know what they actually do? In short, they are the voice of the student body. It’s their job to convey your concerns and requests to the College’s administration.

During the October 22 meeting, they discussed a range of topics, which included everything from problems with the vending machines and getting pay phones installed to upcoming event planning.

They also revisited topics like flu shots and the Food for Families and Toys for Tots drives.

When asked “Why did you join the Student Senate?” many individual reasons were given, raging from curiosity of how things get done to having a voice in decision making. The visiting Marketing Club member, Ryan Hansen, seemed to sum up the consensus of the room. “I wanted to get involved, to get more out of the school experience than just what the classroom teaches. There’s more to being a student than going to class and just leaving after.”

Faculty Advisor Cathy Lechmaier added, “It’s so important for campus life that the clubs know what the senate is doing and senate knows what the clubs are doing because the senate is the one that supports the club’s activities.they can take the information back to the clubs and help spread the word…I find that the students who get actively involved are the ones who are going to make a difference.”

So next semester, when the time comes for senate elections, ask yourself if a role in the senate may be right for you.

Do you just want to complain or be part of the solution? Do you want to get more out of your college experience or just go to class and be a student?

Do you have the courage and conviction to stand up, to help make policies and solutions to campus problems? Will you be a voice for your fellow students?