• One day you will look back and see that all along, you were blooming. – Morgan Harper Nichols

MATC serves the hungry

Friday, June 25 marked a record turnout for MATC participants at St. Ben’s community meal service, located at 1015 N. 9th Street. Fourteen of our faculty, staff and family members participated in serving food, beverages, seating and clean up for the guests that night. Among the volunteers was Gale Bradford of Health Occupations, who brought along her two grandchildren to experience the gift of benevolence. Another volunteer for the event was Sociology instructor Rose Lee, who had offered extra credit for students who participated at St. Ben’s. When asked how she feels MATC could help get more involved in the community, she suggested “making it part of a service learning project, to build it right into the lesson plan since it is so close to the Downtown campus.” Lee will continue to offer this opportunity as a way for her students to get extra credit as well as an “appreciation for how privileged we are, but also as a sociological exercise to look at the demographics and be able to see yourself if you look closely enough.”

St Ben’s has had this meal service for over 40 years. Each night is sponsored by a different group, mainly churches, but very diverse in denomination. The sponsor for the evening should bring enough food to feed 300-500 people.

Towards the end of the month, the amount of people in need tends to increase. The line in the summer can start to form around 2 o’clock. Even though the doors don’t open until 5pm, according to Brother (Br.) Dave, St. Ben’s executive director, the people come early because, “for many, this is their community. 2/3 of the guests are homeless and the other 1/3 is of the working poor.”

St. Ben’s also offers other services to the community such as providing showers, hair cuts, clothing, hygiene products, GED assistance, bus tickets for medical appointments, and can even offer assistance with co-pays for medication for people on Badger Care.

To contact St. Ben’s about volunteering or making an always appreciated donation, please call 414-271-0135, or go online to www.stbensmilwaukee.org