• Spring is the time of plans and projects. – Leo Tolstoy

Student Legal Clinic

Students may be eligible for Food Share

Dear Student Legal Clinic,
I am a student in the Human Service Program and I have been turned down for food share because I am a college student and not working 20 hours per week.  I know other students who have received benefits.  Is this right that I was denied?
Signed Clarissa

Dear Clarissa,
This is a common situation for students.  Many of the food share workers do not seem to look at all the exemptions that make a student eligible to receive benefits.  There are 13 exemptions that could make you eligible.  They are as follow:
Employed at least 20 hours a week at any wage.
Self-employed at least 20 hours a week with self-employment earnings with earnings equivalent to $145.00.
Both employed and self-employed.
Participating in a federal or state work study program.
Responsible for the care of a dependent household member under age 6.  If two parents, only one gets student status.
Responsible for the care of a dependent child over 6 but less than 12 if the agency determines that no child care is available.
Single parent with a dependent under age 12.
Receiving a TANF cash payment, or working in aW2 trial job.  Placed in an institution of higher learning by WIA.
Enrolled in a W2 employment position or other TANF funded program under Title IV of the Social Security Act.
Physically or mentally unfit for gainful employment.
Participating in on the job training.
Is assigned or placed in an institution of higher education through or in compliance with the requirements of FSET (PACE).
Is enrolled in an educational program that is designed to be completed in 2 years or less and obtaining certification or a diploma will lead to employment that is in demand.  
For other civil legal questions, please call Mary O’Leary at 414-297-6630, email [email protected], or stop in Room M346.